6034 West Courtyard Drive, Suite 100, Austin, TX 78730

Facebook Twitter

Call Us Today


How Long Do I Have to Pay Child Support in Texas?

 Posted on June 16, 2024 in Child Support

Austin, TX child support lawyerChild support can be a heated topic, and many people find it difficult to work out child support arrangements as part of their divorce. However, the court does put the best interests of a child first, and child support payments are often a part of ensuring a child is cared for after a divorce.

If you are dealing with child support payments, you may be wondering how long you need to pay them and what it takes to stop your child support payments. An experienced Texas child support attorney can provide you with further guidance.

When Does Texas Child Support End?

In Texas, the Family Code states that you are supposed to pay child support, as per your court-ordered arrangement, until one of the following things occurs:

  • The latter of either your child turning 18 or graduating high school

  • The child being supported dies

  • The child is emancipated, which can occur through marriage, joining the military, or the child petitioning the Texas court for emancipation from parental control

However, there are some exceptions to this, like in the case of a child who is permanently disabled. In these cases, your child support obligations may be permanent.

Additionally, while Texas law does not require contributions to a child’s college expenses, this may be something that is included in a divorce agreement. You will need to check with your final divorce decree to determine whether or not college expenses are part of your legal child support obligations and the details of this arrangement.

How Do I Stop My Child Support Payments?

Once your child support obligations have reached their end, your payments will not automatically stop. In order to finish your child support payments, you will need to file the Motion to Terminate Withholding for Child Support; your attorney can help you with this. This motion will allow your child support payments to officially cease.

Alternatively, if you are seeking to end your child support payments before your child turns 18 or is otherwise ineligible for continued support, you will need to consider a child support modification to your existing arrangement. This can be complex, and modifications are typically only awarded when there are substantial changes to your income, employment status, or ability to pay child support.

Contact an Austin, TX Child Support Attorney

Child support payments are often difficult to navigate, especially if you need to make changes to your child support order or wish to officially stop your payments. A skilled Travis County, TX child support lawyer can answer your child support questions and provide you with guidance on your legal options.

Our attorneys at Powers Kerr & Rashidi, PLLC will provide you with dedicated representation and aggressively advocate for your rights in any child support situation. Call 512-610-6199 for a consultation.

Share this post:
Back to Top