6034 West Courtyard Drive, Suite 100, Austin, TX 78730

Facebook Twitter

Call Us Today


Texas Parents Now Required to Be Current on Child Support before Renewing Vehicle Registration

 Posted on May 17, 2017 in Child Support

Texas child support attorney, Texas family law attorneyWhether the terms of a child support order were determined by a judge or a couple came to an agreement outside of court, each spouse is legally required to comply with the order. Parental responsibilities are taken seriously in Texas, so failing to pay child support can have serious consequences, including wage garnishment and jail time. In fact, a recently implemented program now prohibits parents who are behind on child support payments from renewing their vehicle registration. Whether you are having trouble meeting your child support obligations or are trying to enforce a child support order, it is critical to have the advice of an experienced complex divorce attorney who can explain your legal options.

Office of the Attorney General

All child support orders must be registered with the state’s Office of the Attorney General (OAG), which oversees and enforces child support obligations across the state. When a person falls behind on payments, the OAG can withhold a percentage of his or her paycheck until the amount has been paid. The OAG is also permitted to collect past due child support by seizing the parent’s liquid or cash assets, including the contents of a bank account. The OAG can also take the following steps:

  • Intercept tax refunds;
  • Place a lien against the non-custodial parent’s real or personal property; and
  • Initiate an income withholding order for an amount that is 20 percent higher than that required in the child support order.

The OAG can even have non-custodial parents placed in jail for up to six months for not paying child support and fined up to $500 for each violation. In some cases, the non-custodial parent can also be required to pay the other party’s attorney’s fees and court costs.

Vehicle Registration Restrictions

Under the terms of the new rule, non-custodial parents who are more than 180 days behind on child support will not be allowed to renew their vehicle registration. However, before denying a person’s registration renewal, the non-custodial parent must be notified at least 90 days prior in a letter explaining that the renewal will not be processed until:

  • The parent has arranged for a payment plan with the OAG; and
  • A satisfactory payment has been made.

According to initial reports, the program has proven highly successful and has led to the collection of more than $ 1 million in child support payments.

Call Us Today to Schedule an Appointment with an Experienced Complex Divorce Attorney

If you are behind on child support or have not received any payments from your ex-spouse, please contact one of the experienced Georgetown complex divorce attorneys at Powers Kerr & Rashidi, PLLC today. We are eager to assist you throughout each step of your case.




Share this post:
Back to Top